Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Do You Think We Should Have A Long Summer Vacation or Go to School Year-Round?

The children were recently posed a question for another persuasive writing assignment, this time a pretend debate regarding summer vacation. The question asked if children think we should have a long summer vacation like we do now, or spread it out over the course of the year so that we'd get smaller breaks in all different seasons, but we would only get a week or so for the summer break. The children were reminded that we'd still go to school for the same amount of days each year. Their job was to convince Mrs. Galenski that she should agree with them. Let's see what they had to say!

--------------------------------

          We should have school in the summer. One reason is that I will miss my friends and teachers. For example, last summer I missed recess and playing math games with my friends and teachers. Another reason is I usually get bored, because there is nothing to do. When I am bored, I watch tv and play video games and that's bad for you. Finally, you can still have fun after school. One day I went to the playground. These reasons are why we should have school in the summer.
by Katelynn

          I think we should have a long summer vacation. If we don't I won't get to see my family. Also, teachers might give us work. It depends on the teacher. We would have more time to focus on it if we have a long summer vacation. Finally, we'd have more time to do our school shopping. If we don't have all our stuff by the end of the summer, we might not have all our supplies and we'd probably not be ready for third grade. We need to be ready for third grade. Last year, I wasn't all ready for first grade. That's why we should have a long summer vacation. 
by Jasmine

          I think we should have a long summer vacation. First, if we had a short summer vacation, we probably wouldn't see our family that lives far, far away. For example, I don't see my auntie that lives far away, but if I had a long summer vacation, I could go visit her more. Another reason we should have a long summer vacation is that we wouldn't get too hot in class, because we would be able to go to a beach. For example, last year I got way too hot in class and I wasn't able to go to the beach and get cooler. Finally, we wouldn't have enough time to go to far, far away places. For example, if I had a long summer break, I could travel to Africa and learn new things. And that's why I think we should have a long summer vacation.
by Tristan

          We should have a long summer vacation for many reasons. The first reason is we could still be home schooled so we can still learn in the summer. For example, I could practice my math and writing and I could also read some Junie B. Jones books during the summer. Also, we need a break, because our heads might hurt if we have a lot to remember in school. Like, I might get a headache if I am trying to remember everything is school. Finally, I would like a vacation, because I would get to spend time with my family and friends. Maybe I might want to go to the park with my sister named Cat and her friend Fallon. Another reason is I need time to relax with my sister named Cat and my mommy named Melanie. Say I would want to go to the pool. I would not get to do it if I didn't have a long summer break. These are the reasons that I think we should have a long summer vacation.
by Samantha

          We should have a long summer vacation. The first reason is we can have fun on long summer vacations. For an example, we can go to the park and while we're there, we can play tag or go on the monkey bars. Also, kids need a break from learning. They will get a headache from learning. Finally kids need family time with eachother. For example, my aunt lives in Florida. I won't b able to see her a lot. That is why we should have a long summer. 
by Arianna

          We should have a summer vacation. The first reason is you can have fun with your friends and hang out with your friends on vacation. If we just don't see our friends  we will forget to be kind to them. Another reason to have vacation is so we can spend time with family. If we just had school all summer long we wouldn't be able to see family that lives far away. Last you need sunshine to be healthy. Running and playing in the sunshine is good for you. Baseball and kickball are also healthy in the sunshine. These are the reasons why we need a long summer vacation.
by Jaeden

          Kids should have a long summer break. First, kids need to see family. For example, kids wouldn't have any time to see them. The next reason is that kids need a break sometimes. For example, they could really get tired from working. Another thing is that kids need to get exercise. For example, they can do back arches at home and not really at school. These are some reasons why we shouldn't have school in the summer.
by Will

          We should have summer vacation. The first reason is you would need to swim because it's important to be hydrated in the heat. You could get sick from now getting enough water. Also, we would need a break from learning. It would be hard to remember everything we are learning without a break. Finally,  I can write at home. You can still practice math, science, and social studies at home. That is why we should have summer vacation.
by Nick

          We should have a long summer vacation for many reasons. One reason is that if we had school in the summer we wouldn't have any long breaks to see family that lives far away that we never get to see. For instance, I never get to see my cousins Ben and Claudia and they live far away. Another reason is some kids need long breaks and kids would not be happy if they didn't get them. For example, Arianna wasn't happy about having school in the summer at her old school. Finally, I swim in the summer and get good exercise, but if we have school in the summer, I don't get good exercise. For example, Arianna didn't get good exercise in the summer at her old school. And that is why we should have a long summer vacation.
by Emily L. 

          We should have a long summer vacation. The first reason is we could have a headache from all that learning. A few days ago, I had a headache from learning too much math. Another reason is we wouldn't have any family time together. For example, my family goes to Florida with me. If we didn't have summer vacation, I wouldn't be able to go to Florida with my family. And if we didn't have vacation, students wouldn't be happy. For example, I would be bored. That's why we should have a long summer vacation.
by Greyson

No comments:

Post a Comment